This is awareness and consciousness explained practically. This work has opened my eyes and given me a new way to explore my mind, my body, myself.
— Xuejing Lin, doctoral student, Columbia University
The Conservatory puts the Dimon Institute’s theories and research into action, providing a path for students to live more mindfully and healthfully. More than a method or clinical practice, we explore psychophysical education through the practical science of increased awareness and control in activity.[column-group] [column]What You’ll Learn:
- To improve and maintain physical health, muscle tone, coordination and breathing.
- Awareness and consciousness explained practically.
- Mindfulness training: how to stay present and calm despite common stressors.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of the body and its working systems.
- Hands-on teaching experience of the subject matter.[/column]
- Health: Improving psychophysical well being can address and often prevent common ailments.
- Child Development: We study learning in and out of the classroom, and provide a new measure for assessing health and attention.
- Skilled Activities: Mind/body coordination is the foundation for optimal performance in any skill, from hitting a fast ball to performing a Bach concerto.
[/column] [/column-group] Students range from professional teachers in every field, to prospective teachers who wish to specialize in Psychophysical Education. Graduates of the 3-year program are encouraged to stay on as student teachers and initiate research projects with the Institute.